PIONEER SX-D7000 (JAPAN 1980)
After a series of hugely successful receivers introduced during the 70's PIONEER finally decided that there is a time for a change. With a completely new esthetics ready for a new decade PIONEER introduced in 1980 the SX-D7000. Behind this new aesthetics lies however a "classic" tried and tested amplifier - tuner technology. All controls (except VOLUME and BALANCE) and switches are sliders and pushbuttons, not levers, rockers or rotary knobs. Indications are all beautifully illuminated. You don't have to be a stereo "expert" to see how these new lines and contours add up to a distinctive kind of elegance, to see how the SX-D7000 gives the appearance of a precision transceiver, with all controls neatly grouped into three. The PIONEER SX-D7000 uses a Non-Switching DC power amplifier design. For FM radio reception it uses a Quartz-PLL synthesizer tuner with six FM and six AM memory for instant station recall. The FLUROSCAN power output and tuning meters are considered as a classic PIONEER trademark. Technical data: 120 W/ch min. at 8 ohms from 20 hertz to 20,000 hertz with no more than 0.005% total harmonic distortion. Dimensions: 519 (W) x 180 (H) x 460 (D) mm. Weight: 19.2 kg.
YAMAHA R-2000 (JAPAN 1981)
The new R-2000 receiver goes beyond ordinary stereo to re-create the full depth, presence and excitement of actually being at a live performance. It's the top of the line of the new R-Series receivers; each designed to bring you pure, accurate musical reproduction. Sound to please the most discriminating audiophile- and features to please the most sophisticated music lover. X-Amplifier for more power and cleaner sound. "The R-2000 with our new X-Amplifier is more efficient and more faithful to music than any receiver we've ever built. The circuit design evolved from the nature of music itself. We discovered that true musical crescendos, which require full amplifier power, occur only about 2% of the time. Conventional amplifier designs operate at full power all of the time in anticipation of those loud musical passages. The remaining 98% of the time, full power isn't required. That means conventional designs waste electricity and produce huge amounts of heat - which shortens component life. The new Yamaha X-Amplifier works at low power most of the time. A unique comparator circuit switches the amplifier to high power when a loud passage is detected and back to low power when the peak has passed. As a result, the amp runs significantly cooler than conventional designs, which measurably increases component life. And the X-Amplifier of the new R-2000 is the most powerful we've ever built into a receiver." It delivers 150 watts RMS per channel with 0,015% THD at 8 ohms from 20 to 20,000Hz. So, the new X-Amplifier will easily handle the wide dynamic range of the newest digital and direct-to-disc recording.